Frequently Asked Questions
- When should students use their priority registration?
- When should students turn in their Graduation Evaluation form?
- What is the GWR?
- What is the proper procedure for changing out of the AGB major?
- What is the proper procedure for changing into the AGB major?
- How do students make an appointment with the Advising Center Director?
- How does Credit/No Credit work?
- What is a graduation appointment?
- Where do students find Study Abroad information?
- What is a Degree Progress Report?
- How do students access their Degree Progress Report?
- What is an Ag Science Elective Course?
- Does your department offer online courses?
- Where are internship credits used?
When should students use their priority registration?
It is recommended students save at least two priorities for their senior year. Students are advised to use priorities cautiously, as each student is allowed only three priorities to use during their time at Cal Poly.
When should students turn in their Graduation Evaluation form?
Students should submit the completed form to the Office of the Registrar (Admin Building, Room 222) 4 quarters before graduating. The form can be found on the Office of the Registrar website or at the Advising Center.
What is the GWR?
The Graduation Writing Requirement (GWR) is a writing exam that every Cal Poly Student must complete in order to graduate. For more information visit the Cal Poly Writing Skills page.
What is the proper procedure for changing out of the AGB major?
Students desiring to change out of the AGB Major must first meet with an Advisor or Department Head of their desired major. Once they have met with the prospective department, students must meet with the Advising Center director to discuss a plan for switching majors.
What is the proper procedure for changing into the AGB major?
- Review the AGB Change of Major requirements.
- Meet with the AGB Advising Center director to discuss a plan.
- If a contract is developed, inform current department of change of major plan.
How do students make an appointment with the Advising Center Director?
- Email email@example.com your availability and the subject of your meeting.
- Call 805-756-5019 to schedule an appointment over the phone.
- Visit the AGB Advising Center, Building 10, Room 252.
How does Credit/No Credit work?
Each student can take a total of 16 units as Credit/No Credit grading. A maximum of 4 units can be used towards either major OR concentration OR support classes. A maximum of 4 units can be used toward GE courses. Remaining units (to a maximum of 16) may be used for free elective units only.
NOTE: If a "C-" or better is earned, the student will receive credit (CR) for the course. If a "D+" or lower is earned, the student will receive no credit (NC) for the course.
What is a graduation appointment?
A graduation appointment is available to students who plan on finishing their degree within the following 2 quarters. When students schedule a graduation appointment they will receive a “Remaining Courses” form. It is the student’s responsibility to complete the form before meeting with the Advising Center director. The appointment gives students the opportunity to review their remaining courses and determine an expected graduation date.
Where do students find Study Abroad information?
Students are advised to meet with Monica Schechter, Associate Director for Study Abroad, Building 38, Room 106. For more information visit the Study Abroad web page.
What is a Degree Progress Report?
The Degree Progress Report is an online report that shows a student’s progress towards degree.
How do students access their Degree Progress Report?
- Login to my.calpoly.edu
- Click on "Student Center"
- On the left hand side menu bar click " Degree Progress/Graduation"
- Click "View Degree Progress Report"
- Select Academic Institution: "Cal Poly" and Report Type: "Degree Progress Report". Click "Go"
- Select "Expand All" for display view
What is an Ag Science elective course?
Please view the Ag Science Elective page for a list of acceptable courses.
Does your department offer online courses?
No, our department does not offer any online courses.
Where are internship credits used?
Internship credits are used in one of three possible areas: free electives, advisor-approved elective for concentration, or agricultural science electives (if production based). Please see Professor McCorkle, Building 10, Room 255, for further information regarding internships.