Cal Poly Agribusiness Internship Program
Top 12 Reasons Why You Should Do an Internship
- Integrate academic learning with "hands-on" practical experience.
- Affirm, explore and clarify career goals and plans for the future
- Make more informed and realistic decisions about remaining curriculum and career choices
- Return to the University with great motivation to complete coursework.
- Create an environment for new learning outside the traditional campus environment.
- Gain professional level work experience.
- Interact and network with professionals in the industry
- Build confidence to function in a business environment.
- Gain a competitive edge in the job market
- Develop job search and interviewing skills
- Create transition opportunities for a permanent job after graduation.
- Develop interpersonal skills such as communication, problem solving and teamwork.
Why Register for Internship Credit?
Internship credit verifies that you have taken an internship on your transcript, opens doors for faculty recommendations based on your internship experience, provides you with a post-evaluation report to help you enhance skills and continue the AgBusiness Internship program.
Internship Program Procedures
1. Locate an internship through the Agribusiness Internship Coordinator or have him approve an internship located by yourself or a faculty member.
2. Develop an outline of the procedures and expectations of the internship with the Employer and Internship Coordinator.
3. Register for AGB 339 or AG 339 through the Internship Coordinator for each quarter spent on the site of the internship, including summer.
4. Complete the internship packet, application and other contracts.
5. Communicate with the Internship Coordinator through progress reports on the 2nd, 5th and 9th weeks of the internship.
6. Complete the requirements of the internship course. This requirement is a final report discussing the company, your role, what you learned, and how it related to coursework and personal growth.